Monday, April 29, 2013

Monday Design: Chic New York

If you love style and design and live on the internet like I do, you've probably already seen Athena Calderon's absolutely gorgeous New York apartment. And I do not feel bad about sharing it even though it's already been all over the internet because it really is an amazing work of interior design so seeing it again is a treat.

This apartment is like something out of a interior design nerd's dreams. I mean, who even knew aartments like this existed in the NYC area? The architecture of the space alone is impressive. The lofty ceilings, double high windows, and straight lines really give the whole space an industrial feel, but the dramatic furniture and lush fabrics keep it flowy and feminine. I love the mix.


Although generally I love colors, this palette suits the space beautifully. And the rich colors add so much drama. I adore it.







When asked what her number one design rule was, Athena answered:
"That you should never follow any rules! I am all about mixing and contrasting elements. I think a room should never strike just one note. I love combining polarizing qualities and using elements that seem like they shouldn’t work, but do. I think it creates a tension that brings intrigue and curiosity to a space. So, a clean environment with eclectic oddities, luxurious textures next to raw ones, old pieces with new ones, that’s what gives a room character and depth."

I have to say I completely agree. I try to mix any kind of designs in a similar way, but I am not where near as good at doing so as she is. I think I have a new role model. Read the full interview on Refinery 29.

What's your number 1 design rule?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...