Thursday, March 6, 2014

What I Wore: The Thrifted Sweaters Edition

I know I talk about this every week, but I am so tired of winter. More sickened by it than I have ever been. There was a glimmer of hope with some 40 degree days and then it snowed and the temp dropped again. I'm moving. Enough of this.

Anyway, due to the never ending Siberian weather, I thought I'd talk about my sweater collection. It's gotten a little out of hand. I could probably wear a different sweater every day for a month - unless we're counting cardigans, then make that three. How did I amass such an insane collection, you ask? Easy. Thrifting. One thing I've become great at finding in a sea of ugly 80s sweaters is the 1-2 good ones. 

I buy them too, of course, but when your wardrobe consists of fleece leggings, a skirt, a sweater, and Doc Martins for 5 months out of the year, it can become expensive. So I thrift!
Here's my secret to finding cool, printed sweaters and sweatshirts: don't stick to the adult section. They may sometimes be a little mis-shaped, but you'll be surprised how well sweaters in the boys section fit! I'm a weirdo, I know this. 

That's where today's style post comes from - my odd affinity for children's sweaters. I've picked up the best little league and school sweaters that way, like the one below from North Folk Central (where is that even?). What I love about fun printed sweaters is that you can throw on tights and your favorite plain skirt and it looks like you at least tried, even though all you were really trying to do was keep warm. Amazing, right?

Other tips for thrifting sweaters:

  • Look for solid colors.
  • Touch the sleeves, you can tell a lot about what your going to get by the fabric.
  • Be prepared to pull out some monstrosities.
  • Try stuff on. Sizing changes over time. Just because it doesn't say it will fit on the tag, doesn't mean it won't be perfect when you put it on.
  • Take risks! Always wanted to try a Grandma cardigan but were scared you wouldn't wear it? It's $4, honey. Splurge! If you don't wear, I bet you know someone who will.


There you have it! Sweater thrifting 101. I hope you go out and find something amazing!
 Outfit Details
Red sweater - Thrifted from the boys
Green midi skirt - ASOS a while back but they have a great selection of midi skirts
Heeled work boots - Modcloth on sale a while ago

Honestly, the heels I haven't work in a while due to excessive snow and ice (can you tell by how I'm admiring them?), but it felt good to be in them again. This was also taken before it snowed again. One day it will be spring. One day it will be spring. 




*This is what happens when you have an unruly photographer. "Okay, you can stop now"

How have you been dealing with this unruly winter? 

That's all for today folks! Don't forget to follow me on your social network of choice -  FacebookTwitterPinterest, or Instagram - and I'll let you know when something new is up!

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...