Monday, November 18, 2013

Interior Design: A European Style, New York Castle

Holy opulence, Batman. This triplex in the meat packing district of New York is mind blowing. It's a picture of antique grandeur. The building was originally built in 1847 as a townhouse and converted into a general store in the late 1800s. From there it became a sausage factory until 1992, then a mother and daughter fell in love with the abandoned space and bought it to turn into their dream home. They tried to preserve the original, vintage elements wherever possible. Old floorboards were cleaned, treated, and reused and they even rubbed coloring into the re-done fireplace to make it look time-worn. And what a project of love, huh?


 
As always, I was pulled my the exposed walls, wrought iron staircase, and exposed beams. The very industrial finish to the space is exactly what I love about warehouse renovations as well. However, what really ties everything into the design of the space is the juxtaposition of the grand, opulent furniture and home accessories. Every piece of antique furniture in this home reminds me of any time I've visited an old European castle. The French, Marie-Antoinette-Era details take this space from a simple industrial renovation to a gorgeous vintage dream space.

And now that I'm done making that paragraph sound meaningful, I just need to get out one SQUEEEEEEEE for this open floor plan. Think about this, you walk into your home, which is flooded with light, and look up to see the night's sky painted on a ceiling three stories up. I'm in love. I am so in love.










The antique day bed is just one of the many examples within the design of the home of an overwhelming love of antique opulence. Can't you just imagine this is the boudoir of the queen?









Originally listed on Douglas Elliman about a month ago, I think it's since been snatched up. Not surprising, if I had the money, I would be moving to New York right now. 

If you had an enormous space like this to decorate, what would you do with it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...