Wednesday, July 23, 2014

What I Wore: The Time Travel Edition

I've been obsessed with 70s style all summer. I don't know why or where this love of all things 70s-biker-chic came from, but I'm into it. So into it, in fact, that all I can do is daydream about moving to California and riding on the back of a motorcycle over winding trails. I better re-watch Sons of Anarchy or something.

Anyway, that's where today's outfit inspiration is stemming from. Ever since I started this weird, retro 70s obsession, I've been hunting for a pair of high-waisted, tight, bell bottom jeans. They were surprisingly hard to find. Or maybe not so surprisingly, if you're a sane person, unlike me. But find them I did and my world will never been the same.

Now, I don't love jeans; I don't love pants, in general. I'm really a dresses and skirts kind of gal. But, again, you can't be gypsy, biker 70s chic without them. Right? Right. So, I think my obsessive search paid off.
 Outfit Details:
High waisted bell bottoms - Urban Outfitters (duh, who else would carry these?)
Belt - "borrowed" from the man-friend

Now, I live in kind of a redneck part of town. Oh yes, there are redneck parts in Chicago — it is the Midwest we're talking about here. Standing around in an eagle tee and bell bottom jeans doesn't really draw much attention. In fact, it kind of just helps me fit in. There are old cars being worked on as far as the eye can see. However, I don't know how confident I would be taking the high-waisted bell bottoms to the streets. I haven't tried it yet. Something about it still feels a little gimmicky. I'm working on finding a way to naturally fit the look into my personal style without forcing it.

That's one thing I always struggle with when it comes to style changes or incorporating trends into a look. You've all seen this, often times it can look really forced. Like those grandmas on the train in cosmic print (I think) leggings. I know they're comfy, but they have an age limit. There's a lot to be said for personal style, it becomes your signature. It's how people know and understand you. That's why sometimes you'll say (or maybe you've even heard this about yourself), "You look SO different outside of work!" to a co-worker. Do they look different? No. But because you only know their personal style to be office wear, they seem to take on a whole different personality in different clothes. It's super important to stay true to yourself when you're trying to work in trends or new styles, not only to not look like you're wearing a costume, but so that you feel comfortable, confident, and sexy in your new digs! Obviously.

I break in new style or trends slowly, because I always feel like I'm wearing a costume at first. I'll mix and match some new piece with a few old favorite and see what works. I'd like to say that changing your personal style is easy and it always works, but sometimes you just gotta scrap that trend and go back to what makes you feel like you.

Long story short, we'll see how long these jeans stay in the rotation. I might even wear them to work this week. But, at the end of the day, they might just be another addition to the back of my closet.
*Also featured in today's post is my man-friend's 1973 Glacier Blue International Scout. It runs, sometimes. Mostly, I just love how it looks. He's put a lot of love and time into the thing, so I can't not like it. Plus it makes for a great backdrop today.

How do you incorporate trends into your look?


That's all for today folks! Don't forget to follow me on your social network of choice -  FacebookTwitterPinterest, or Instagram - and I'll let you know when something new is up! Oh yea, there's also Bloglovin, naturally. 

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...