Thursday, October 23, 2014

Flower Wreath Tutorial

I'm not Martha Stewart. Not even close. But I'll be damned if I don't try. One craft I've never really ventured into was wreath making, but this fall I thought it would be nice to have a pretty fall colored wreath on the door and Michael's has so many shades. So I took the plunge and made my first wreath! Since it wasn't a complete disaster (like my many previous craft fails), I thought I'd share it with anyone who wanted to give it a shot too.

One note on saving money: I bought my flowers right at the change of seasons. At the end of summer, Michael's still had some fall colored flowers and they were all on sale. So I hoarded them for about a month and then turned them into this! Sometimes, it pays to have a collection of craft supplies.


Flower Wreath Tutorial

It's a great Saturday morning project. Even if you struggle with cutting some of the stems off, like I did, it shouldn't take you more that 45 min to finish.

Supplies:

  • Styrofoam circle
  • 3-4 small bundles of fake flowers in whatever colors you want
  • Burlap ribbon
  • Hot glue gun and hot glue
  • A sharp pair of scissors
  • A pair of wire cutters

Instructions:

1. Snip the heads of the flowers from the stems, leaving about a 2-in length of stem to push into the Styrofoam.

2. Some of the stems will probably have a few layers of plastic on the stems. I found that scoring the plastic with sharp scissors and then pulling it off worked really well to expose the wire. 

3. Lay out how you would like to arrange your flowers. I recommend a big, shaggy carpet as your table. It works really well for organizing the flowers ;)

4. Wrap the Styrofoam wreath in the burlap ribbon. Use the hot glue to attach the ribbon at the start and at a couple points along the wreath as you wrap. BE CAREFUL: the hot glue will seep through the ribbon and attack your fingers. It's called hot glue for a reason. It hurts. Trust me.

5. Start pushing your flowers into the wreath like you arranged earlier. 

6. Arrange all your flowers and admire your work! How easy was that?

To hang it, I just cut a piece of yarn and tied it around the top.


Bonus? You can reuse this wreath a few times. When you get tired of these flowers, don't toss the wreath. Take out the swap out the flowers! I love when life is easy.


More tutorials to come! Follow me on your network of choice (FacebookInstagramTwitterPinterest, or Bloglovin) to know when the next one is live.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...