Thursday, August 9, 2012

Vintage Love: 40s Style Dresses

I don't know what it was, maybe the Depression, maybe wartime, maybe coming off of the roaring 20s, but dresses from the late 30s into the early 40s were these pretty, structured, dainty pieces that flattered every figure. They almost always had collars and pretty little sleeves that were often three quarter length. They weren't quite the full skirt, ornate piece of the 50s, they were simpler than that, but just as pretty and perfect for the every day girl. It was the 40s that coined the shirt dress - a look that drags me to it like flies to honey.




I am currently obsessed with 40s style dresses, and always have been to be honest. However I recently realized that there is an obvious lack of these cut dresses in my closet, so I went searching. The ones I pulled up on Etsy are a little more than I'd like to pay, especially if the dress isn't authentic, but I've seen these same style in stores like H&M and Topshop. The 40s cut is a really popular style for pretty floral pattern dresses in the spring. Unfortunately, I haven't found any of these style dresses to put in the vintage shop lately, but I'm on the hunt! Don't you worry. In the meantime, here's some eye-candy:






What was your favorite era of fashion?


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...