Tuesday, December 13, 2011

VINTAGE and NOW

My insanely fashionable and wonderful fashion school friend dropped this bomb of knowledge on me one day: "Fashion moves like a pedulum." WHOA. Is your mind blown?

It's pretty common knowledge that fashion trends recycle over time. The 70s were back in full swing last Spring and this Spring I'm seeing 60s inspired cuts across designers. It can be a damaging thing to realize if you're a pack rat like me, because I hold on to clothes I love FOREVER. Why? Because you never know when it'll come back in style. A concept my ::ahem:: roommate consistently fails to understand. EX:
"Get rid of that vest, you never wear vests"
"I don't wear it NOW, because I'm not going for the tailored thing right NOW"
::blank stare:: "Well, you could just buy a new one when you decide to use it in your wardrobe again"
"Why would I buy a new one when I have a perfectly good one right here? This is a staple. I don't use it all the time, but it needs to live in my closet for when it becomes necessary again"
"That makes no sense"
"YOU make no sense!"

And that's how I successfully conduct an argument. And this ends my tirade.

In the spirit of this idea, I've decided to try something new on the blog called VINTAGE and NOW. It's sort of self-explanatory, but I always browse these runway shows and think "that's so (insert era here)". Now I'm going to catalog it. By the way, this would be a fun idea for all you vintage queens out there who still love being on the cusp of trends.


           VINTAGE                        NOW
 
Retake Vintage
 
Jason Wu Spring 2012



I know that the runways are showing pre-fall right now (nuts right?), but my brain can't possibly think that far ahead in the middle of winter. Spring is as far as I'm will to go. Besides, I figure that gives you plenty of time to stock your closet full of 60s favorites or pull yours out of storage. Right? Right.

Anyway, have fun and please send me any vintage clothes you find that look runway ready!

Until next time kiddos!
Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...