Thursday, April 12, 2012

Thursday Tutorial: Dainty Floral Drop Earrings

Today's tutorial is completely inspired by my friend Julia over at 2 or 3 Things! She did this super adorable outfit post with a pretty floral headband and inspiration struck! I thought, "Man that looks cute, but I'd probably never wear a whole headband full of flowers." And then.....




I pulled some little fake buds off the flowers I have sitting on my desk and wrote up this Floral Drop Earrings tutorial. It's super easy and the earrings are very subtle and dainty if that's what you're looking for.

 

Materials:
  • 4 headpins
  • 2 ear wires
  • Round nose pliers
  • Wire cutters
  • Flat nose pliers
  • About 6 inches of chain
  • 2 looped headpins
  • 4 small beads
  • 2 fake flower buds

    Instructions:

    1. String one small bead on a flat headpin and bend the headpin 90 degrees a little bit above the bead with your round nose pliers.
    2. Wrap the wire around the thin part of your round nose pliers in the opposite direction of the bend you made to create a loop.
    3. Wrap the rest of the wire around itself until it reaches the bead, then trim off the rest of the wire. Do this with the remaining 3 beads and headpins.
    4. Attach two of the beads to one looped headpin and the other two to the second one.
    5. String one fake flower on each headpin.
    6. Measure out your chain as long as you want it and cut two pieces. I suggest cutting it a little be shorter than you want it because the ear wires will add a little length.
    7. Start making a loop like you did for the beads, but before you start wrapping the extra wire around itself slide one end of your chain onto the loop. Then close off your loop by wrapping the extra wire around the headpin and trimming the excess, just like with the beads. Do this to both earrings.
    8. Open a jump ring string on one end of your chain and an ear wire. Close the jump ring and repeat to the second earring.

    And that's it! Shouldn't take you more than an hour to make. Super easy and feminine floral earrings, perfect for Spring and Summer! Of course, if you'd rather buy than make, I popped them into the Etsy store for easy access ;)



    Now, I'm still getting the hang of writing tutorials so please let me know if anything is unclear. I'll do my best to try and explain anything that sounds confusing.

    Until next time!
    Maggie

    3 comments:

    1. These are so cute!!! I wish I had any kind of DIY skills so that I could try this myself-- I'm so horrible at making jewelry! Although I'm super psyched that my floral headband inspired these earrings, haha :) Maybe next time I'm in Chicago we can have a DIY jam session and we can make more of these things together! (maybe even... DIY floral headbands...?! one can only dream)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yea definitely! Bring the headband over, I bet I can figure out how to make it in 2 minutes. Glad you like the earrings ;)

        Delete

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...